WD My Cloud 3 TB in Use Part 6

Continued from WD My Cloud 3 TB in Use Part 5

Linux distributions and WD My Cloud 3 TB


Linux users will have absolutely no problems accessing content on the WD My Cloud 3 TB since My Cloud runs on a small custom Linux kernel itself and uses CIFS/Samba for file access and permissions.

On Fedora 24/25 Workstation with Gnome 3, Nautilus (Files) mounted the My Cloud shares easily. Copying and moving files weren't as fast as I expected over Ethernet, but error-free. Grsync was also able to sync large folders over the network. No additional configuration is needed for Fedora 24/25 to gain access to My Cloud over the network.



Note: For more details about using Grsync with the WD My Cloud, refer to Grsync, Unison, and WD My Cloud.

Debian Jessie with Xfce also had no issues with the My Cloud 3 TB. In fact, my minimal Debian install with PCMANFM and Thunar was able to detect and mount the shares a bit faster than my Fedora machine. Debian Jessie comes with the SMB client software package so you won't need to install additional packages to work with the My Cloud. Ubuntu-based distributions should also be pretty straightforwad - launch your file manager, browse the local network, or specify the WD IP address.



For those who want to stream media rather than access the folders over Samba, Rhythmbox detects shares over UPnP/DLNA for playing back music. VLC for Linux ideally should be able to detect UPnP broadcasts on your network, but your mileage will vary depending on your set up. It's not a deal-breaker, however, since access to My Cloud shares is so seamless, it's pointless to set up or troubleshoot UPnP clients on your Linux machine.

Rhythmbox was initially able to playback My Cloud over UPnP. However, a recent Debian update stopped that functionality. Users can, of course, just connect to the Share directly and import MP3s.
Note: If you really want to access My Cloud's media server services on your Linux box, install Kodi, which worked flawlessly on Android devices.

As noted in Part 2 of this series, there is a small issue regarding powering down the My Cloud. With a Linux, macOS, or FreeBSD machine, you can log into the My Cloud's system over SSH and use halt -p. For more details regarding this issue, refer to Powering off My Cloud (02.xx.xx).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Fix: MS Office Click to Run and CPU usage

Notes on UPnP/DLNA media streaming with Windows 10

Vivosmart HR: Setting up Notifications and Music Controls Part 1