The Awakens Teaser and the Infamous Sci-Fi Question Part 2

Continued from The Awakens Teaser and the Infamous Sci-Fi Question Part 1

Someone asked me the immortal question of "Do you prefer Star Wars or Star Trek?" recently and I was careful with my answer. That question, which has been around since the 80s, has faced a resurgence in recent years thanks to J.J. Abrams' Star Trek reboot and the popularity of contemporary Star Wars media (such as the Lucas games for PlayStation and XBOX). I actually have a stronger opinion for another geeky 80s question (Marvel or DC?) than with the Star Wars/Star Trek conundrum. In general, I gauge my answer based on who is asking - Star Wars fans will strike you with their plastic lightsaber toy while Star Trek fans will take a few steps back and execute a patented Shatner drop kick. 

 
"Be mindful of your answer when talking to Star Trek fans, Anakin."


Honestly, the presence of a young Harrison Ford in the original Star Wars trilogy is enough to tilt my taste towards the Force. Plus, Ewan McGregor is such a great actor that he livened up even the worst parts of the prequels. Compared with Leonard Nimoy and the dashing Chris Pine, Han Solo and the young Kenobi wins in my book. Besides, I was more of a fan of the Batman (1960s) series with Adam West than the original Star Trek (1966) and its eponymous animated series.

 
"Hurry Lando! Everyone is busy looking at the slave costume!" Han Solo assists Lando in Return of the Jedi (1983). Even partially blind, Harrison Ford's Han Solo proved to be a hero in one of the most underrated action scenes in the Star Wars franchise.
 
 
"I have a Bat-Universal translator." Adam West on set from a Time Magazine photo.

On the other hand, the original Star Trek series is a very intelligent show and the recent reboot is actually fun (McCoy rules!). Star Wars is accessible but remarkably shallow compared to the themes Kirk, McCoy and Spock struggled with in the 60s. Moreover, age has reduced my taste for lightsaber action scenes and the smart dialogue of Star Trek is truly engrossing and reminds me of a time before the Internet's superficiality (though my last girlfriend preferred we watched Nickelodeon instead whenever Trek came up on cable). It also helps that Star Trek had a regular revolving door of lovely cast members for Captain Kirk to prey upon.

 
Karl Ubran as Bones in Star Trek: Into Darkness (2013) struggles with his arm. Urban, John Cho and Chris Pine lead the charming, competent cast of the reboot.

The problem with choosing between the two for non-sci-fi fans is that both franchises are heavily diluted. I've only watched the original trilogy and prequel of Star Wars and know next to nothing about the Expanded Universe apart from the fact I can buy the novels from the dollar bin at the local used bookstore. I'm told the Clone Wars series produced by Cartoon Network is well-written but I can never bring myself to actually watch it due to my aversion for CGI shows. On the other hand, I've only watched a handful of movies/episodes of the numerous Star Trek movies and TV spinoffs. I used to see commercials for reruns of Deep Space Nine, Voyager, Enterprise and The Next Generation but never found them compelling. Captain Picard was a great character though. My editor in one of my first jobs as an IT writer even named his two firstborn sons Kirk and Jean-Luc.

There are two things I am sure of however. One, I'm excited about the new Star Wars movie. Two, I would rather watch any of the Star Trek or Star Wars shows or movies than watch that floating piece of self-indulgent, poorly conceived, shallow turd, Guardians of the Galaxy (2014).

 
"What did you say about Han Solo you butt-ugly m*therf*ckin Russian *sshole?" Indiana Jones confronts the incompetent Russian army in Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Quick Fix: MS Office Click to Run and CPU usage

Notes on UPnP/DLNA media streaming with Windows 10

Vivosmart HR: Setting up Notifications and Music Controls Part 1